Image: Mining in the Carajas, Brazil.
Porter GeoConsultancy and the Australian Mineral Foundation continued their International Study Tour series of courses by providing a unique opportunity to:
• See at first hand the world's best examples of Phanerozoic iron-oxide copper-gold systems - the Andean coastal belt embraces a range of large Phanerozoic iron oxide copper-gold deposits within the Chilean Iron Belt which also incorporates a chain of apparently related large to giant magnetite-apatite ore accumulations.
• Inspect the deposits of the world's most prolific Proterozoic iron-oxide copper-gold province - the Carajas district of Brazil embraces a series of giant Proterozoic iron-oxide copper-gold deposits, with potential for further discoveries.
• Visit a diverse range of major deposits in one of the world's premier orogenic gold belts - Distributed from Peru in the north to central Chile in the south, these major deposits range from high to low sulphidation to porphyry mineralisation and from bulk mining propositions to narrow rich underground veins.
• Get a different perspective on the occurrence of major Precambrian gold mineralisation - for those more accustomed to the well studied gold mineralisation of the Yilgarn and Superior Provinces, the old gold of Brazil may provide new insights and suggest alternative possibilities for the occurrence of Precambrian gold.
• Select which of these four compact optional parts, within the two modules offered, best suited your requirements - and visit a suite of major deposits, in one or more of these four contiguous segments of the tour:
MODULE 1 - THE ANDES - 3 to 20 October 2001
PART A, Andean Gold Deposits - 10 days from October 3 - Seminar & visits to:
PART B, Andean Phanerozoic Iron-oxide Cu-Au Ores - 8 days from October 12 - Seminar & visits to:
- Pascua-Lama, El Indio Belt
- La Coipa, Maricunga Belt
- Marte, Maricunga Belt
- El Penon
MODULE 2 - THE SHIELD - 22 October to 2 November 2001
PART A, Shield Proterozoic Iron-oxide Cu-Au Ores - 6 days from October 21 - Seminar & visits to:
- La Candelaria
- Mantos Blancos
- El Romeral
PART B, Shield Archaean & Proterozoic Gold
- 6 days from October 28 - Workshop & visits to:
- Igarape Bahia
- Morro Velho
- Morro do Ouro
- Sao Bento
In addition to the mine visits, there were high level seminars & workshops, as shown above, to provide an overview of the regional tectonic, geological and metallogenic setting of the districts and deposits visited, plus field reconnaissance, or drill core inspections in areas of poor exposure. While the primary focus of the tour was geological, attention was also devoted to the mining, metallurgical and economic aspects of each operation.
Tour participants were from around the world. They brought a breadth of knowledge and international experience that broadened and enriched the discussion and greatly enhanced the tour as the group travelled together and viewed the deposits visited from their varying perspectives and backgrounds.
Maximum impact, minimum time - In recognition of the value of the time of key staff, the duration of the tour has been kept to a minimum, being divided into four short modules and parts averaging around one week in duration, but including maximum content. All mine visits, workshops, surface and air travel and accommodation on tour are arranged by PGC for the AMF.
Return to TOP
Porter GeoConsultancy Home Page
| More on This Tour
| Other Tours
| New Tours
| About AMF
For more information contact: T M (Mike) Porter, of Porter GeoConsultancy (email@example.com)
This was another of the International Study Tours designed, developed, organised and escorted by T M (Mike) Porter of Porter GeoConsultancy Pty Ltd (PGC) in joint venture with the Australian Mineral Foundation (AMF). While the reputation and support of the AMF contributed to the establishment of the tours, after it ceased trading at the end of 2001, PGC has continued to develop, organise and manage the tour series.
|Porter GeoConsultancy Pty Ltd|
6 Beatty Street
LINDEN PARK 5065
Telephone: +61 8 8379 7397
Mobile: +61 422 791 776.